Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Iselia

Iselia is one of the weavers who works with the Chol Chol Foundation. She enjoys being an ambassador of sorts and is always willing to receive visitors at her home in the countryside. Francisco and I went to her house accompanying a woman from Wales who travels to Chile each year and purchases handmade goods to sell back in her country. She had purchased from the Foundation before but this was her first time meeting one of the artisans. I had first met Iselia in February when I had gone to her house with Francisco, who was taking measurements for the new weaving workshop that would be built for her. The workshop was completed by my second visit and Iselia had already placed a loom inside and begun a new project (a poncho). She also had another loom propped up outside which had a partially-completed rug in colors dyed with blackberry, peach leaves and onion skin.

Iselia is best known for her fine work in traditional men's ponchos. After months of looking for a good quality poncho, and after seeing the intricacies involved in the making of the one on the loom, I made an appointment to meet with Iselia in two weeks (each poncho takes 15 days to complete) to buy the beautiful brown and white garment directly from her. She met me in downtown Temuco, an hour bus ride from her house. We sat on a bench in the market and I showed her the photos from the day we visited. She asked if I could print some for her that she could keep at her house, which I will delightedly do. It made my day to be able to share my "craft" with her and to go home with something she had made. The $80 I paid for the poncho equals about half of her monthly income.

1 comment: