Sunday, April 22, 2012

valdivia

I had been waiting a long time to have a chance to visit Valdivia. I had read something in the guidebook about it having a bohemian character and a cafe culture. That was enough to intrigue me since Temuco doesn't have many places where you can drink tea and read a book in a bright and cozy atmosphere. I don't know why I'm so determined to look for the charming comforts of Seattle on the other end of the planet. Anyway, Celie and I decided to go for the weekend and upon arrival we headed straight to a cafe in an old house. We ordered huge sandwiches and talked about how we wanted to live like this all the time. Celie said the fact that a tasty sandwich and a windowsill decorated with antique glass bottles could be so joy-provoking for us meant that we were truly happy people at the core. We spent the afternoon wandering the low-key streets, passing by the feria fluvial (seafood heaven and the sea lions know it too), having coffee and cake at the appropriate hour, shopping for copper jewelry, and returning to the Airesbuenos Hostel which had a backyard herb garden whose residents were one white duck and a grey tomcat.

1 comment: